"The ostensible supporters of the Constitution, like the ostensible supporters of most other governments, are made up of three classes, viz.:
1. Knaves, a numerous and active class, who see in the government an instrument which they can use for their own aggrandizement or wealth.
2. Dupes - a large class, no doubt - each of whom, because he is allowed one voice out of millions in deciding what he may do with his own person and his own property, and because he is permitted to have the same voice in robbing, enslaving, and murdering others, that others have in robbing, enslaving, and murdering himself, is stupid enough to imagine that he is a "free man," a "sovereign"; that this is "a free government"; "a government of equal rights," "the best government on earth," and such like absurdities.
3. A class who have some appreciation of the evils of government, but either do not see how to get rid of them, or do not choose to so far sacrifice their private interests as to give themselves seriously and earnestly to the work of making a change."
No Treason. No. VI The Constitution of no Authority, (Boston: Published by the Author, 1870)
- More Lysander Spooner Quotes
- Books by or about Lysander Spooner
- This Lysander Spooner quote is found in these quote Categories:
Authority quotes, Consent quotes, Constitution quotes, Government quotes, Power quotes, Property quotes, Rights quotes, Sovereignty quotes, Treason quotes, Tyranny quotes, Usurpation quotes, Vote quotes
| || |