"The way to have good and safe government is not to trust it all to
one, but to divide it among the many, distributing to everyone exactly
the functions in which he is competent ...
- To let the National Government be entrusted with the defense of the
nation, and its foreign and federal relations ...
- The State Governments with the Civil Rights, Laws, Police and
administration of what concerns the State generally.
- The Counties with the local concerns, and each ward direct the interests
It is by dividing and subdividing these Republics from the great
national one down through all its subordinations until it ends in the
administration of everyman's farm by himself, by placing under everyone
what his own eye may superintend, that all will be done for the best."
(1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President
Jefferson letter to Joseph Cabell, Febrary 2, 1816, Writings W., 6:544
- More Thomas Jefferson Quotes
- Books by or about Thomas Jefferson
- This Thomas Jefferson quote is found in these quote Categories:
Constitution quotes, Equality quotes, Freedom quotes, Government quotes, Independence quotes, Liberty quotes, Power quotes, President quotes, Republic quotes, Respect quotes, Responsibility quotes, Safety quotes, Security quotes, Trust quotes
| || |